Wednesday 13 June 2012

NHS Frenchay Hospital 11/06/12 (General Ward)


On the first day of my work experience in Frenchay Hospital I worked with the volunteers on Wards 201 and 202. From 8am-12:30pm I made tea and coffee for the patients on the ward and chatted to them while making sure they didn’t need anything else. I found this job highly rewarding as I was able to actually interact with the patients instead of just observing, I was really able to understand the hospital environment by talking to the patients and my understanding of the functioning of the wards became clearer. For example the wards I was in were all virtually full the whole day, which made the environment constantly busy, and there was always something to do.
Then from 1pm-2pm I gave the patients in the wards lunch, which was a very frantic process as everyone had to make sure they were giving each patient what they wanted and at the right time. This was rewarding as each patient seemed so grateful for our help and dedication to their needs. This was made possible by the patients ticking boxes of particular foods they wanted on a piece of paper, so they didnt need to move, which made the process far more efficient.

From 2pm-4pm I then helped move beds  around from different wards so new patients would be in the right places. After a while this began to be quite physically challenging, but it was not a problem as other nurses were helping and it was really enjoyable working with the nurses on the wards. They were able to make laborious jobs such as moving beds a fun experience.


The first day in Frenchay Hospital, although  hard work, was one of the most fulfilling because I was really able to understand how important the hospital's role is. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, particularly coming to grips with how different roles such as nurses and doctors work in a hospital environment alongside physiotherapists. Due to the attitude of the people on the wards I have been inspired to work with this type positive attitude and bring a lively and joyful energy to a working hospital environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment